Thursday, July 15, 2010

Jam Day 1 - 2010

About a month back it was time for the rhubarb to burst forth and both my yard and my neighborhood are blessed with large quantities. The houses in my area are predominately 50-60 years old (though there are a couple of blocks of homes that date back to the 1910's) or new infills. These older homes often have huge rhubarb plants growing in the alleyways where no one harvests them and they simply go to waste. Not being a fan of waste (especially of something as awesome as rhubarb) I set out on a walking tours of the community, picking stalks as I went. I skipped any houses with backyard gardens as well as any plants that appeared to be tended by the home owners. Coming home it was time to wash, dice, and jam. I made Strawberry Rhubarb jam and Bluebarb jam (from The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving) as well as Rhubarb vanilla Jam from Food in Jars. Most of the Bluebarb was put away in the basement by the time I took this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment